Oxenfree was released in 2016 by developer Night School across a wide array of platforms. PlayStation, Xbox, PC, and even iOS/Android users all have the option to purchase and play Oxenfree today. So why buy it for the Nintendo Switch? Here are 5 good reasons:
1. You missed out: Oxenfree was an indie release that had good traction, but never really blew up within the gaming community as a whole. For Xbox and PlayStation users, the graphics just aren’t what the player base is used to and since this was Night School’s first game release, some gamers didn’t know what to expect and stayed away. Needless to say, if you fall into this category, you missed out.
2. Choose your own adventure: That’s what is unique about this game. Think back to the days of your childhood. Whether you read a variety of choose-your-own-adventure stories or you grew up on the Goosebumps series, Oxenfree is a game for you. As the main character you control the outcome of the game and can get a variety of endings based on the decisions that you have made.
3. It’s spooky: The premise of the story is a little freaky in the best way. Because you ultimately control the outcome with your choices, you inevitably get sucked into the story. When you pair your choices with ghosts, time loops, rifts, and other supernatural elements, you get a winning recipe for a creepy game that has the ability to put you on edge.
4. The Story: We mentioned that your choices ultimately dictate the story and its worth pointing out how unique that really is. A vast majority of games available today will allow you to respond to situations by giving you choices, but ultimately does not dramatically alter the games ending or overarching story line. Despite the illusion of choice you are still led from point a to point z where point z is relatively consistent. That is not the case with Oxenfree. Night School purposely avoided cut scenes for this reason and instead they allow you to interact with the story at all times.
5. Replay value: An on-going complaint about console games is replay value. The ability to play through a game and it’s story multiple times and still feel satisfied. Oxenfree really delivers on this front. Because the story-line and character relationships are mostly up to you, each play through feels unique and just as gripping as the first time.
Oxenfree comes out on October 6, 2017 for the Nintendo Switch. You will be able to purchase on the eShop for $20.00.
Are you planning on playing Oxenfree on Nintendo Switch? Let us know in the comments section below.
<p>Avid gamer across PC, Xbox, and Switch platforms. Check me out on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube.</p>